How to Be Prepared for Everest Base Camp Trek, Nepal?
Everest base camp is a dream for all backpackers. I am sure that 80% of you have this trek on your bucket list. Now it’s time to tick mark it off your bucket list for me and I am super excited about it. Let’s know how I am preparing for this trek-
About Everest Base Camp Trek-
The Everest Base Camp is one of the top famous tourist destinations of Nepal. Every trekker love to do this trek once in their life. It is famous for its mountains peak, snow, greenery and its beautiful hills. There are many villages on the way and you will find all villagers are very friendly. All speak and understand English very well. During the summers, the season is wet and the peaks are lost in the clouds. Therefore April and May might just prove a good time to go around this place. You can enjoy the tree and shrubs blossoming in this season, with Rhododendrons in particular. This adds a spectacular color and beauty to the surrounding.
Grade – Difficult
Maximum Atitude- 18,190 Ft.
Preparation for Everest Base Camp-
I will do this trek after 3 months, so it’s time to be prepared for this amazing trek. I started the workout and running from today. This trek is a little bit harder than others, so its need more workout. How I am preparing my self for this trek or what preparation you can do for this trek-
- Do Running At least 5 Km per day. Running on a treadmill is not really running. Always try to do running at the park and some other non-road area.
- Join a Gym or not, its really not matter. If you can do the workout at home so you don’t need to join a gym. Remember this trek needs stamina, not muscles or big biceps. If you can’t do the workout at home and need a trainer, then you can join a Gym and hire a good trainer and remember again- go the gym for increasing stamina, not for muscles.
- Try to go out of your comfort zone. Trekking is an amazing adventure which takes you out of your comfort zone and gives you internal happiness. So be prepared for sleeping in the sleeping bag, tent or Tea shops. Try to go out of your comfort zone by doing little treks and sleeping in the tent. Somewhere you will not find any western toilets in this trek and you have to survive in all condition.
- Try to walk in the daily schedule. On our daily schedule, we always use bike or car for short distance journey also (1-2 Km). So try to go there by walk, it will help you to boost your stamina and give you a fresh feel.
- Use stairs. On our daily schedule, we always use escalator or elevators for the 5-6 floor but remember you are not a sick person or a common man. Be a trekker, use stairs for going one floor to another. When I was on job, I always use stairs for going to my office (10th Floor) from the parking area. It helped me a lot on my recent treks.
- Eat Healthy Food and drink water. Diet is the very important factor in our preparation. Have a healthy diet and do the workout as much as possible for build a great stamina for Everest base camp trek. Eat boiled eggs, green vegetables and fruits, drink milk and healthy fruit juices. Don’t drink alcoholic drinks because its reduce your stamina.
- Try to stay active in cold weather. You will find the temperature in minus also during Everest base camp trek. So when it’s winter in your city or country, always try to face it instead of just sitting in front of heaters or Air conditioners.
- Do Yoga and meditations after woke up. It will help in increasing your stamina as well it will give you the power to face the low oxygen problem.
Book Your Flight Tickets of Kathmandu in advance-
As always we find flight tickets expensive on time. So book it in advance. You will find some direct flights also of Kathmandu.
Book your package-
It’s difficult to go Everest base camp trek by own because of it’s difficult way, permits, altitude etc. So its good to book a package and go with a company. They will provide a guide and porter to you for this trek, so you can do it easily and without any tensions of emergencies. I booked my package with the company- Hiking Adventure Treks Pvt. Ltd.
Why did I choose to go to Everest base camp trek by company’s packages instead of going by owns?
As I already said that Everest base camp is a little bit difficult than other treks, so I need a guide and porter with me for this trek. If I book guide and porter especially for me, it cost me higher than a company packages So I prefer to go by a company package where I will find a group of 5-10 trekkers also and an experienced guide and porter. So if I get any kind of trouble or emergency, I will have many new friends who help me and an experienced guide who know all about mountaineering and first aid.
I saw many company’s packages and find the best one from the company- Hiking Adventure Treks Pvt. Ltd. I chose this company because of their good services, experienced guides, and positive customer reviews. Their price are also valuable as per their services and under my budget, So I made the booking and will go there soon.
What includes in this package of Everest Base Camp?
- Pick up and Drop to Airport on both domestic and international flights.
- Round Trip Flight From Kathmandu to Lukla.
- Hotel Accommodation in Kathmandu on a twin share bed/Single and breakfast basis as per the itinerary.
- All-Time meals while trekking (Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner).
- Tea and coffee while on the trek.
- All accommodation while trekking.
- Welcome, / farewell dinner as listed in the itinerary.
- The Kathmandu sightseeing city tour with world heritage entrance fees as listed in the itinerary.
- All Domestic flights and airport tax as listed in the itinerary.
- Private transportation to and from the starting and ending points of the trek as applicable.
- Sleeping bag, duffel bag etc for the use during the trip, Plastic garbage bags.
- Professional local experienced Trek Leader / Guide trained in Wilderness First Aid.
- Comprehensive First Aid Kit.
- Respective region (Everest) trekking map, TIMS Card.
- Necessary Porters to carry all personal gear and group equipment.
- Proper Insurance for all staff including porters.
- Warm clothing & trekking gear for staff including porters: jacket & trousers, fleece jacket, and pant, trekking shoes/boots, woolen hat, gloves, shocks, sunglasses etc.
- The Trekking t-shirt.
- Comprehensive pre-departure information and trip dossiers
What Are Not Included?
- Meals in the cities except the Welcome Dinner.
- Personal trekking equipment
- Items of personal nature expenses such as alcoholic drinks, cold drinks, laundry, mineral water, hot shower, battery charge, Telephone, etc..
- Tips for trekking/ tour guide & porters (expected, not mandatory)
- International airfare and airport taxes, excess baggage charges.
- Valid Travel Insurance with Medical evacuation in case of emergency
- Expenses incurred due to accidents, landslide, strikes, political unrest
This all Package cost me just $1195, That’s why I choose to go by Package instead of going solo.
There are lots of companies in the market who can provide this same package but I chose this one because of some few trekkers suggestions who did this trek with this company last year and their customer positive reviews. It’s a trek of dreams and I don’t wanna waste my money and ruin my trek because of any company. That’s why I chose High Adventure Treks because I have trust on them.
You can buy trekking equipment in Nepal. You will find it cheaper in Kathmandu. You can also take it for rent also. There is a big market in the city Kathmandu of these kinds of trekking gears in Thamel. Ask it to the company, they will suggest you best shop for these gears. As I already said that I am going to High Adventure Treks company, so they providing me sleeping bag and down jacket also in this package. I just need to buy some thermals, gloves and trekking stick.
Trek Insurance for Everest Base Camp-
You can book your insurance for this trek online but it’s not Compulsory. It totally depends on you. But I prefer to buy an insurance policy with any local or international company.
So I am Going for this wonderful Trek From 1st June to 17th June 2018 with High Adventure Treks. You can also join me or go here on any other dates.
For More Information, Check Their Website- Hiking Adventure Treks Pvt. Ltd.