Bir Billing, a small village in the Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh, is one of the best sites for Paragliding in Asia and also stands amongst the top list of paragliding around the World. It is famous for its scenic beauty and offers holistic peace of mind for travellers and adventurers.
Bir Billing is known as the “Paragliding Capital of India” and it’s becoming a spot for adventure sports lovers and Paragliding enthusiasts around the World. The Paragliding World Cup (PWC) was hosted here in 2015. If you are planning to experience this thrilling experience then here is everything you should know.
What is Paragliding?
- Paragliding is one of the most recreational sports around the globe. Paragliding is all about adding wings to your jump. It has always attracted a large number of adventurers for decades but a huge increase in popularity is seen in recent years.
- It consists of a foot-launched gliding aircraft along with a harness. You just need a glider, some boots, and a flying suit to get started. The huge wing which is made up of nylon canopy is driven and operated by a pilot. You can do it solo only if you do the course and get the certificate.
Bir is a small village located in the west of Joginder Nagar valley in the foothills of Dhauladhar ranges of the Himalayas. Billing is located 14 km to the North of Bir. Billing is the take-off point situated 8000 feet from sea level and offers a great flight. The landing site is located 4500 feet from sea level on the southern edge of Bir in the village Chowgan. Bir is especially famous for Paragliding and other adventures.
Why should you go to do Paragliding in Bir Billing?
Bir Billing offers one of the most astonishing ambiances for Paragliding. It’s not just about this recreational sport but the breathtaking valleys, lush greenery, and the pleasant favorable conditions which makes it a tourist place. Here are the reasons why Bir Billing is one of the best Paragliding spots in the world.
- Suitable Air currents
It is blessed with the best climatic conditions. Adequate wind movements and air currents ensure that you get the lingering paragliding flights at a much higher altitude. Bir Billing has an average thermal of 5m per second making it one of the best sites for Paragliding activity.
- Most Incredible Takeoff and Landing sites
The takeoff site consists of a natural launchpad which is 8000 feet from sea level. The landing site is at aaa height of 4500 feet above the sea level. Both sites have safety and medical facilities. These sites also offer incredible views of sunrise and sunset.
- Ideal Cloud Base
For flying higher in the sky one needs a higher cloud base which is available at Bir Billing. The cloud base is at an average height of 4000 to 6000 meters. So it’s easier to maintain your height and climb higher while flying.
Different options of flying for Paragliding in Bir Billing
- Tandem Paragliding
In this, you will be accompanied by a trained pilot who will operate the flight. The pilot will be handling the control and you can just enjoy the scenic views. It can be done by anyone as you don’t have to be trained to do it. A Tandem flight usually lasts for 10-25 minutes depending on the wind direction and climatic conditions. This Paragliding starts from Billing and land at the grounds of Bir.
Cost: 2500 INR (Without GoPro footage), 3000 INR (With GoPro footage) (High Season)
2000 INR (Without GoPro footage), 2500 INR (With GoPro footage) (Low Season)
- Solo Flying
You can go for Solo Flying only if you are a certified paraglider. To get the certificate one needs to get trained for 12-15 days and complete all the Paragliding courses. After that, you can fly solo.
- Long Paragliding Flights
For those who want to spend more time flying there is an option of Long Paragliding flights in Bir Billing. It usually lasts for 40-60 minutes and can cost you between 6000-8000 INR.
Best Time for Paragliding in Bir Billing
Paragliding in Bir Billing is open all over the year except for the monsoon season. However, the best time for Paragliding depends on weather conditions and air movements. Starting from March to May and October to November is the best time for Paragliding
How to reach Bir Billing?
- By Bus
You can find many public and private bus services that will help you to reach Bir Billing. You can also use state-owned HRTC buses that go to Chaugan village
- By Train
The nearest railway station is Pathankot which is 100 km from Bir
- By Flight
You can board a flight to reach Dharamshala Airport which is 70 km away from Bir Billing
Chandigarh – Una – Jawalaji – Kangra – Palampur – Bir -Billing (310 km)
Chandigarh – Bilaspur – Mandi – Jogindernagar – Bir-Billing (275 km)
Manali – Mandi – Jogindernagar – Bir-Billing (180 km)
Dharamshala – Palampur – Bir-Billing (70 km)
Pathankot – Palampur – Bir-Billing (140 km)
Safety tips to know before paragliding in Bir Billing
Paragliding in Bir Billing is an incredible experience but you should keep some safety tips in mind to avoid any unnecessary and dangerous situations
- Stay calm and be mentally prepared
- Do not attempt a solo flight if you haven’t learned it. Go for Tandem flights
- Avoid overeating before the flight
- Wear warm clothes but not too heavy
- Follow all the instructions instructed by your pilot
- Children below 18 years of age are not allowed without the supervision of their parents
- Your weight should not exceed 120 kgs
Where to stay at Bir Billing?
Mostly the Paragliding operators arrange the stay but if you’re going on your own here is the list of some good stay options-
- Camp Oak View
- Chokling Guesthouse
- Dharmalaya Institute
- Hotel Paul Manor
- Glass House
- Colonel’s Resort
- Hostel at Camp Oak View.
- Bhawani Guest House
- Dome tents at Billing
Things to do in Bir Billing
Bir Billing is a complete package of adventures. It has numerous treks to climb, monasteries to see and places to explore. Here is a list of things to do in Bir Billing apart from Paragliding:
- Mountain biking
- Trek to RajGundha village – the semi-tribal living of the villagers is must-see.
- Palampur, for the tea estates gardens (29 km from Bir)
- 9th-century Baijnath Temple (12 km from Bir)
- Palpung Sherabling Monastery, Baijnath
- Tribal Bara Bhangal valley trek (8 Days to Chamba valley from Bir)
- Mukut Nath Temple at Sansal, 8 km from Bir – see the first planted Tulsi here
- Hanumangarh day hike to the top of the valley (11500 feet)
- Tatani hot water spring (28 km of drive and 6 km of a trek from Bir)
- Trout fishing, trekking, and leisure stay at Barot Valley
- Tashi Jong Buddhist Monastery, Baijnath, Palampur
There you go! We have explained everything you need to know about Paragliding in Bir Billing.
Keep Exploring 🙂